Thursday, April 11, 2013

Non-Tea Chai-Spiced Coconut Ice Cream

Okay, so this one IS a recipe post.  An ice cream recipe post, to be exact.  And I know this doesn't always apply to a lot of people, because not everyone owns an ice cream machine.  But it is worth the purchase, I promise you.  There's nothing quite like eating ice cream that you made yourself.  And you can make it EXACTLY how you want it--all of your own desired flavors.  It's so. much. fun.

I once made a thin mint ice cream.  It was exactly as delicious as you'd imagine.

And I'm envisioning a s'mores ice cream... The recipe idea hasn't quite been perfected yet, but you'll be the first to know.  Of course.


I'm a non-tea drinker.  Partly because it's against my religion, but in larger part due to the fact that I think most teas, even the ones we Mormons CAN drink, taste like watered down herbs.  If I'm in the mood, that can work.  But I'm rarely in that mood.



That being said, I once had a sip of a chai tea (a kind that we are asked not to drink), and I about died because, of course, it was delicious.  I tried to make spiced milk that tasted like chai tea soon after that experience, but I think I hadn't quite mastered the art of a steamer and it came out terrible.


But!  I'm better at cooking now.  And I found this recipe for chai coconut ice cream, and I couldn't stop thinking about it.  And so!  I made my own version that was non-tea.




Bonus:  my version is also lower fat and lower sugar.  You're welcome!  Although, I did change the sugar content a little bit.  The original recipe called for all honey, and I used some honey and some brown sugar, because honey can get expensive when you're just throwing cups at a time into recipes.  And I'm into saving money.



Non-Tea Chai-Spiced Coconut Ice Cream
About a quart (we got about 10-12 servings)
Adapted from Cookie and Katie

1 can full fat coconut milk
1 can lite coconut milk
1/4 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. honey
1/3 c. plus 1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix together all ingredients in a large pot.  Warm it over medium heat on the stovetop, and whisk vigorously until all spices are incorporated, sugar and honey is dissolved, and any solid coconut cream is completely melted into the mixture.

Pour into a bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes.   Be sure to taste it at this point and make any adjustments you like, whether you want to taste more spice, or make it a little sweeter.  Refrigerate the mixture until completely cooled through, usually at least an hour or two.

Whisk the cooled mixture, and pour into your ice cream maker.  Follow the directions of your ice cream maker accordingly.  Once frozen through, transfer into a tupperware and keep in the freezer for the ice cream to set up further.

We served this alongside some coconut butter cookies, and that was incredible.  I'd also recommend mixing in some crumbled ginger cookies, if you like a good crunch in your ice cream.
Husband said he thinks this should be served over a brownie, but I think that's just because, for him, a dessert isn't a dessert without chocolate.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment