Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Growth

I ran a marathon once.

It was one of the most difficult, but rewarding, experiences in my life.
I can't imagine how it must feel to have that accomplishment so completely undermined by the senseless malice of a faceless person or group; to mourn for your fellow runners who have worked so hard for so long, and now there are many who have irreversible bodily damage.

My thoughts and prayers are with the runners, their families, and the people of Boston.
And I'm so impressed and overwhelmed by the kindnesses that have been shared through stories and gestures I've read.  I'm not connected to the Boston Marathon at all, but I feel connected to that spirit of humanity, of lifting one another in times of distress.

And of pushing our way out of darkness to grow together as a people.

I planted seeds this weekend, some herbs to grow in my kitchen.

Seeds are so often used as metaphors, but I think it's apt.
Our human instinct seeks to find familiarity in the natural world,
and what better metaphor than a seed that, though set in darkness, will strive for light.

It will break the surface of the heavy dirt in order to bask in the sun.

And we, as a people, always do the same.
We lift each other, strengthen our root system, and grow toward goodness.

I hope to show you the little green sprouts in a couple weeks' time.
And I pray that, in a couple weeks' time, the runners and people of Boston will be in the midst of the healing process, continually strengthened by the goodness of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment